[Dovecot] maildirsize quota counting locking account?

Daniel Watts d at nielwatts.com
Wed Dec 19 15:51:08 EET 2007

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 19.12.2007, at 13.42, Daniel Watts wrote:
>
>> I've just straced a dovecot imap process and found one thread sitting
>> there doing hundreds and hundreds of maildirsize updates as follows:
>
> What Dovecot version? v1.0.8 fixed one bug that caused this.

1.0.7 - will update as soon as gentoo's portage includes 1.0.8..
hmmm though it seems to have skipped it and gone to 1.1 beta:

*  net-mail/dovecot
       Latest version available: 1.1_beta11
       Latest version installed: 1.0.7
       Size of files: 2,594 kB
       Homepage:      http://www.dovecot.org/
primarily in mind
       License:       LGPL-2.1

Do you do the ebuilds yourself for gentoo? I think you should update the
Description - makes it seem like dovecot is just about security and not
performance when that isn't the case!

> Also it's of course quite pointless to even read maildirsize for each
> FETCH. This has been fixed in v1.1..
>
>>> read(0, "2838 UID fetch 1816 (UID RFC822."..., 2974) = 51
> ..
>>> read(0, "2839 UID fetch 1817 (UID RFC822."..., 2923) = 51
>
> This shows that Thunderbird is sending a separate FETCH for each message
> for some reason. Even without maildirsize updates it might be slow.

Yeah no idea what thunderbird thinks it is doing. Often have to close
the program and restart it (of course this is nothing to do with dovecot
- i suspect tb's caching management).

Thanks timo,
Dan