[Dovecot] Is it 1.0 yet?

Troy Engel tengel at fluid.com
Wed Feb 14 18:53:45 UTC 2007

Charles Marcus wrote:

> Thats really good to know and what I am hoping for - as soon as 1.0 is
> released and is in portage, I'll be migrating our courier-imap over to
> dovecot. My test server seems pretty snappy, but there's a big
> difference between a test server and a production one... ;)

Agreed -- I just ran a non-scientific test for you, as I was curious myself.

Server A: SquirrelMail 1.4.5, Courier-IMAP 3.0.8, NIS+ lookups and NFS
mounts to /home, Maildir (existing production, rock solid)

Time to open my mailbox: 36 seconds (*)

Server B: SquirrelMail 1.4.9 (in Courier config), Dovecot 1.0rc22
(Courier namespace mode), PAM/nss_ldap lookups with same NFS mounts (new
beta server)

Time to open my mailbox: 4 seconds

Obviously there's a million factors (distro release, CPUs, memory, load,
etc.) but across the board my beta users see astounding performance
gains. Doing searches inside Thunderbird on random strings exhibits the
same behaviour, what used to take a minute takes 2-3 seconds now.

-te

(*) about 7-8 years worth of mail

--
Troy Engel | Systems Engineer