[Dovecot] Is it 1.0 yet?

Wed Feb 14 22:21:19 UTC 2007

> Agreed -- I just ran a non-scientific test for you, as I was curious
> myself.
>
> Server A: SquirrelMail 1.4.5, Courier-IMAP 3.0.8, NIS+ lookups and NFS
> mounts to /home, Maildir (existing production, rock solid)
>
> Time to open my mailbox: 36 seconds (*)
>
> Server B: SquirrelMail 1.4.9 (in Courier config), Dovecot 1.0rc22
> (Courier namespace mode), PAM/nss_ldap lookups with same NFS mounts (new
> beta server)
>
> Time to open my mailbox: 4 seconds

wow...

> Obviously there's a million factors (distro release, CPUs, memory, load,
> etc.) but across the board my beta users see astounding performance
> gains. Doing searches inside Thunderbird on random strings exhibits the
> same behaviour, what used to take a minute takes 2-3 seconds now.

Stop it! I was up all last night getting my server ready (upgraded to
gcc 4.1.1 from 3.4.6, which, of course, meant I had to rebuild the
entire box, which only took about 7 hours)...

<sigh>

Now I'm gonna have to find the time to just go ahead and do the
migration... we experience the same slowness (courier-imap
4.0.4/maildir) with both squirelmail and tbird, to the point that
searching on large folders (1+GB w/ 7k+messages) often will just timeout...

I think I'm actually salivating... lol

--

Best regards,

Charles