[Dovecot] Too many open files

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jan 4 13:10:45 UTC 2007

On 4.1.2007, at 10.57, Daniel Cox wrote:

> I am running Dovecot 1.0rc15 on NetBSD 3.1 with only a few
> connections.
> It is built from pkgsrc-2006Q3, with mail/dovecot/ updated to HEAD.
> kqueue is a default build option - I haven't tried without yet.

Well, I guess without kqueue it'll work. But last I tried it wasn't a
problem with NetBSD 3.1, only with 2..

> # fstat -p 21494
> root     dovecot    21494   45* pipe 0xcc4e0138 <- 0xcc4e0648 rn
>
> Shows an increasing number of pipe files open.

A pipe is created for logging for each child process (imap, pop3,
imap-login, pop3-login).

Apparently with kqueue it doesn't notice when the pipe's other end is
closed, so the pipe never gets closed.

If I can have access to a system where this problem occurs, I could
try if I can get it fixed some way.