[Dovecot] Dovecot's deliver trouble (...probably bug?)

Dominic Marks dom at helenmarks.co.uk
Fri Jan 5 15:29:48 UTC 2007

On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 17:16:51 +0200
Serge D <serge at cis.by> wrote:

>  Hello everybody!
>
> I am a Linux admin trying to move my mail
> system based on qmail to the software which is more spam-protected:
> exim4 + dovecot-1.0rc15 + pgsql .  I've downloaded and rebuild  dovecot
> from src.rpm (for fc4). During
> the testing stage I've discovered two troubles:
>   1) the problem with deliver (...I'm not sure it's a really bug). Here
> is relevant part
> of my /var/log/messages :
> -------
> Jan  3 10:40:37 serge deliver(serge at test.net): auth input: serge at test.net
> Jan  3 10:40:37 serge deliver(serge at test.net): auth input:
> home=/var/spool/mail/test.net/serge/
> Jan  3 10:40:37 serge deliver(serge at test.net): auth input: uid=500
> Jan  3 10:40:37 serge deliver(serge at test.net): auth input: gid=12
> Jan  3 10:40:37 serge deliver(serge at test.net): setuid(500) failed:
> Operation not permitted

I'm not a Linux user, but I often see messages like this where
various enhanced security packages cause problems, have you
ruled these out?

Either that or deliver is being run as user with insufficient
rights. You shouldn't have to chmod the mail store, the
delivery program assumes the appropriate credentials. At least
that is how I understand it.

Hope this helps,
Dominic