[Dovecot] trouble debugging

Aaron Solochek aarons-dovecot at aberrant.org
Sat Jan 6 00:52:46 UTC 2007

I want to switch away from bincimap, and I am having some trouble getting
dovecot up and running. Something isn't working (I suspect it's a permissions
problem) but the logs aren't really telling me anything interesting.

I can authenticate and get a list of folders, but when I try to select a folder,
I get the "Internal error" message that tells me to check the server logs.  The
server log shows:

Jan  5 19:43:42 sausage dovecot: imap-login: Login: user=<aarons>, method=plain,
rip=XXX, lip=XXX, TLS
Jan  5 19:43:43 sausage dovecot: IMAP(aarons): Effective uid=1000, gid=1000
Jan  5 19:43:43 sausage dovecot: IMAP(aarons): Namespace: type=private, prefix=,
sep=/, inbox=yes, hidden=no, subscriptions=no
Jan  5 19:43:43 sausage dovecot: IMAP(aarons): maildir: data=/XXX/aarons/Maildir
Jan  5 19:43:43 sausage dovecot: IMAP(aarons): maildir:
root=/XXX/aarons/Maildir, index=/XXX/aarons/Maildir, control=, inbox=

How can I get better debugging info?  I've tried all the debugging options in
dovecot.conf.

Thank you.

-Aaron