[Dovecot] Shared folder

Stefan Klatt stefan.klatt at cac-netzwerk.de
Tue Jan 9 23:09:30 UTC 2007

Hi,

first.. i'm new on this list :-) and use dovecot 1.01rc17 under fedora
core 5.
And i read the list of the last 4 moth and didn't found answers to my
questions........

now i work with shared folders and got it running on the following
configuration:

namespace private {
  seperator = .
  prefix =
  location = maildir:/srv/imapd/user/%u/maildir
  inbox = yes
}

namespace public {
  seperator = .
  prefix = Public.
  location =
maildir:/imapd/shared/public/maildir:CONTROL=/imapd/user/%u/shared-settings/public/control:INDEX=/imapd/user/%u/shared-settings/public/index
  hidden = no
}

location is one line :-)

I have different questions to this configuration:

if i use "hidden = no" at the private namespace, the complete namespace
isn't viewable, if i use "hidden = yes" i see the prefix "private" at
the foldernames in my emailclient. Shouldn't be a non existing hidden
option the same like "hidden = no"?

if use / as the seperator like dokumented at the wiki it doesn't work.
with a dot like the seperator at the directories for the emailfolder it
works.

is there a way to implement ACL for virtuell user in this configuration?

The namespace could be a very interesting idea to give other user access
to the own mailbox (e.g. for holiday), but for this each user need it's
own acl-file which he can change.... And the special folder like Inbox
must be viewable from another user.

The both last could be realized with an option like "ACL =
/imapd/user/%u/rights" to include an file with acldefinition at the
namespacedefiniton.
Another way could be a option like "ACL_R = user, user, group, group"
inside of the namespacedefinition with definition of user and group
outside of the namespacedefintion.
For me a LDAP request would the best way :-) i realize the complete
emailconfiguration with ldap.

Stefan