[Dovecot] Shared folder

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jan 18 18:00:08 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 00:09 +0100, Stefan Klatt wrote:
> namespace private {
>   seperator = .
>   prefix =
>   location = maildir:/srv/imapd/user/%u/maildir
>   inbox = yes
> }
>
> namespace public {
>   seperator = .
>   prefix = Public.
>   location =
> maildir:/imapd/shared/public/maildir:CONTROL=/imapd/user/%u/shared-settings/public/control:INDEX=/imapd/user/%u/shared-settings/public/index
>   hidden = no
> }

Looks ok.

> if i use "hidden = no" at the private namespace, the complete namespace
> isn't viewable,

"complete" meaning what? Some do show?

>  if i use "hidden = yes" i see the prefix "private" at
> the foldernames in my emailclient.

You haven't configured "private" prefix anywhere, so they're probably in
the mailbox names themselves..?

> Shouldn't be a non existing hidden option the same like "hidden = no"?

Yes, it defaults to no.

> if use / as the seperator like dokumented at the wiki it doesn't work.

Why? Probably a client problem.

I'm thinking most of your problem are probably related to client
problems or possibly the mailbox names themselves.

See "Check that it finds other mailboxes" in
http://wiki.dovecot.org/TestInstallation

Try with that instead of with IMAP clients, and see if it works then as
expected.

> is there a way to implement ACL for virtuell user in this configuration?
>
> The namespace could be a very interesting idea to give other user access
> to the own mailbox (e.g. for holiday), but for this each user need it's
> own acl-file which he can change.... And the special folder like Inbox
> must be viewable from another user.
>
> The both last could be realized with an option like "ACL =
> /imapd/user/%u/rights" to include an file with acldefinition at the
> namespacedefiniton.
> Another way could be a option like "ACL_R = user, user, group, group"
> inside of the namespacedefinition with definition of user and group
> outside of the namespacedefintion.
> For me a LDAP request would the best way :-) i realize the complete
> emailconfiguration with ldap.

Well, Dovecot doesn't currently really support these kind of shared
mailboxes, but you might be able to kludge it:

With ACL plugin you can create dovecot-acls file to the maildirs that
you want to share to others. http://wiki.dovecot.org/ACL

Then you could create some new namespace like:

namespace shared {
  seperator = .
  prefix = Shared.
  location = maildir:/srv/imapd/user/%u/maildir/shared
  inbox = yes
}

Then the shared/ directory would contain symlinks to the other users'
maildirs that you want to access. Anyway remember then that if you
delete dovecot-acls file or don't load the ACL plugin, the user has full
access to the mailbox..