[Dovecot] LDAP authentication stops working...

"Αποστόλης Παπαγια "Αποστόλης Παπαγια
Thu Jan 11 09:43:35 UTC 2007

> Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 16:07:03 +0100
> From: "J.M. Maurer" <mmaurer at betterbe.com>
> Subject: Re: [Dovecot] LDAP authentication stops working...
> To: dovecot at dovecot.org
>
> On Tue, 2007-01-09 at 09:54 +0000, Gavin Henry wrote:
>
>> > <quote who="Adrian Close">

>> > We also get this. Twice a day we have to restart dovecot, using userdb and
>> > passdb via LDAP, with userdb_prefetch.
>>

> Just to add: we moved from rc<something before 5> to rc15 recently, and
> we now also see a lot of hangs with
>
> The result handler for the initial ldap_search to find the dn to bind to
> is never called. I assume Timo fscked something up recently in my
> auth_bind code  ;-P
>
> Anyway, restarting ldap every hour or so with cron does the job :-|
>
> I'd debug this if I had the time, but I won't have before next week.
>
> Cheers,
>    Marc
>

> ---

I haven't documented it properly (yet) but when using rc15 with
userdb_prefetch + passdb +  ldap_authbind (200-500 concurrent clients)
directly with LDAP it operates OK only for a few minutes. After a while
authentication freezes. On the LDAP server (openldap v2.2.28) I see
countless log entries such as: " slapd[24721]: connection_input:
conn=1134942 deferring operation: binding". Dovecot show
I tried to increase various dovecot and openldap limits without success.
Until the problem is solved, I use Dovecot with getpwnam (/etc/passwd) +
pamldap which works always OK.

Could anybody please verify that direct LDAP userdb_prefetch, passdb,
auth_bind work ok with openldap under heavy stress?
Is it possible that multiple concurrent LDAP bind requests and searches
under different LDAP credentials through the very same TCP connection
produce some kind of spourious problem?

Apostolis Papagiannakis
Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece