[Dovecot] How change the order POP checks mail.

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jan 19 12:11:01 UTC 2007

On 19.1.2007, at 13.17, Andreas Andersson wrote:

> namespace private {
>  separator = /
> inbox = yes
>  hidden = no
>  prefix = "mbox/"
>  location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u
> }
>
> namespace private {
>  separator = /
>  prefix =
>  location = maildir:~/Maildir
> }
>
> but not with POP, I can't find any mail.
>
> When I only searching for mbox mail, it worked great.
>
> I think thats the problem are the pop who first searching for Maildirs
> and then mailboxes.

Actually with POP3 the namespaces are completely ignored. Only
mail_location setting matters. So if you set:

mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u

That should work. If you want it to fallback to Maildir if mbox
doesn't exist, you can script it (http://wiki.dovecot.org/
PostLoginScripting). It you want it to use both mbox and maildir,
that's not going to work directly. You could again write a post-login
script that moves mails from eg. mbox to maildir, and then sets the
maildir as the INBOX.