[Dovecot] X-UID: 4085788205 != 2147483647

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Jan 24 11:23:06 UTC 2007

On 24.1.2007, at 2.49, Stephen Gowing wrote:

> It *is* possible to force a large X-UID, if the user has an empty
> inbox
> (tested on rc15).

Yes, but only if it's the very first message for the user. Afterwards
even if user expunges all the messages, there are two things that
prevent this from being possible: index files and the UW-IMAP style
"FOLDER INTERNAL DATA" message.

You could also prevent this completely by stripping the X-UID header
in your SMTP server or LDA. For example Dovecot LDA strips all the
Dovecot's internal metadata headers.

I guess the UID renumbering could be done some day, but for now I
think it's just way too much trouble with not that much benefits.