[Dovecot] More AFS maildir debugging

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Jan 24 13:55:11 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-24 at 08:32 -0500, Craig Huckabee wrote:
>    AFAIK, hard links are not supported at all in AFS, only symlinks.

I googled a bit and saw something about hard links being supported but
only within a directory. Or maybe that was about symlinks.

> When I installed Courier for our local site, I had to replace the 'link'
> calls with 'rename', and 'unlink' with 'remove' - all #ifdef'd in our
> local source tree.

I recently changed maildir link() calls to rename()s, mostly for OSX.
There's still one link() call where dovecot.index.log is linked to
dovecot.index.log.2 file.

>    Putting the INDEX files elsewhere makes sense too if you want to use
> AFS quotas - one issue we have with Courier is that a user over quota
> gets denied access because all of the uuid/index files in Courier live
> in the maildir.

Dovecot has the same problem with dovecot-uidlist file too. You can move
that elsewhere too with :CONTROL=/somewhere.

>    I'm still hoping someone can explain the quota plugin API to me so I
> can submit an AFS quota plugin - I have the code to calculate the quota
> but I'm having a hard time understanding what the different quota
> functions should return.

Have you looked at http://dovecot.org/patches/quota-rewrite.diff? I
think that could be a bit easier to understand.