[Dovecot] PLONK THE TROLL... WAS: Re: Best small server config

James Turnbull james at lovedthanlost.net
Mon Jan 29 13:45:37 UTC 2007

- wrote:
> On 1/27/07, Charles Marcus <CMarcus at media-brokers.com> wrote:
>> This 'Ben' guys was a toll, nothing more - don't waste any more
>> bandwidth on him...
>
> I'm highly disappointed in dovecot, since it seems 'support' is more
> of a phantom than an option with you people. I have not counted ONE
> decent reply, not ONE comment on using dovecot on a small server with
> the amount of users I mentioned. It's all nagging on and on about
> things that shouldn't even matter. So I'm using an old conf file, is
> that so strange? I used rsync and migrated from an older server.

It's simple mate.  If requesting support provide the following:

1.  Version of Dovecot you are using.
2.  Relevant configuration details
3.  OS and platform you are running on.
4.  Any potential log entries or other issues you are having.

Net result?  Support.

Provide those details and I'll be happy to help you troubleshoot your
problem.

I also recommend reading
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html.  Seems to work for
most lists I am on.

Without rancor I'd also recommend that you don't ever use an old
configuration file for ANY application without reviewing it carefully in
light of your environment, the current version of the application you
are using, and your requirements.

Regards

James Turnbull

--