[Dovecot] PLONK THE TROLL... WAS: Re: Best small server config

Mon Jan 29 13:52:01 UTC 2007

> You're just disappointed I did not reply to your slanderous (useless)
> comments

Slanderous?? What on earth are you talking about? Timo tried to HELP you
- as did I (although I'm nt much help with real problems, obvious things
like knowing that you aren't going to get much help with the 0.99.x
series is an easy one)...

> Stupid hypocrit.

It is this very attitude that got you labeled a troll.

You came on the list, asked a couple of questions, but didn't provide
much in the way of specifics generally considered necessary to assist
you in troubleshooting your problem - ie, platform (and no, 'linux'
doesn't give anyone enough information), dovecot version, etc. No
problem, no one is perfect.

But when Timo did the only thing he could do - try to extrapolate what
version you were using based on some ancient settings in your config
file - and informed you that simply updating to the current version
would most likely fix BOTH your problems, you came back with a bit of an
attitude - not a lot, but a bit.

I simply answered your question-with-attitude in response to Timos
reccommendation - that 0.99.x is *very* old *and* *unsupported* -
meaning, it is a waste of Timo's time to try to help you troubleshoot
problems with it since upgrading brings you so many benefits *and* most
likely will fix your problems - and then you started insulting Timo, me
and dovecot in general.

Maybe you were offended that Timo assumed you were running an old
version when you weren't? That could have been handled quite easily -
all you had to do was reply in a civil tone what version you were
running, and Timo would have gladly helped you sort out the config file
issues you obviously were having (assuming you are indeed running a
recent version).

I have *never* seen Timo lose his patience with anyone on this list. If
you notice, he hasn't even responded to your insults and attitude.

The funniest thing is - you *still* haven't told us what version you are
running.

--

Best regards,

Charles