[Dovecot] Dovecot 'suicide'

Luigi Rosa lrosa at hypertrek.info
Mon Mar 19 10:52:44 EET 2007

I have a Dovecot installation on a Fedora 4.
With the last update from Dovecot RC10 to Dovecot RC27, the daemon
kills itself every night with this error:

Mar 17 05:23:11 mail dovecot: Time just moved backwards by 6 seconds.
This might cause a lot of problems, so I'll just kill m
yself now.

The error appears just after the night maintenance script executes a
ntpdate syncronization

ntpdate is version 4.2.0a at 1.1196-r

Well, 6 seconds are little more than a blink in human perspective,
even if it is a long time for a computer point of view. Couldn't be
possible to add a configuration option to avoid the suicide?

Any other option other than suicide is better, because there could be
situations of really unattended servers.

Ciao,
luigi

--
/