[Dovecot] using sieve plugin

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Mar 19 14:37:50 EET 2007

On 19.3.2007, at 7.54, Kendall Shaw wrote:

> However, I get no log messages indicating errors and as far as I can
> tell, my .dovecot.sieve script is not being used. I have introduced a
> syntax error in the script and see no error message.

deliver ignores unknown settings in the config file. It's a bit
kludgy program.

> protocol lda {
>   module_dir = /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/lda
>   mail_plugins = cmusieve
>   log_path = /var/log/dovecot-deliver.log
>   info_log_path = /var/log/dovecot-deliver.log
> }

Looks ok. You can also set mail_debug=yes to make deliver log more.

> I am using exim with dovecot. I've tried using a .forward file (I'm
> the one user on the computer). Alternately, I've tried creating the
> dovecot_deliver "transport" in exim and changing the localuser router
> to use it.

I guess the problem is with Exim configuration, but I don't know
about Exim myself. You probably should have shown your transport
configuration anyway.

> Still, I get no messages from deliver and no error messages from
> dovecot or exim. The file dovecot-deliver.log is not created.

Are you sure it even has permission to do that? /var/log/ isn't
typically writable to other users than root. You could instead create
the file yourself and change its permissions to be wide enough to
allow deliver to write there.

Also you could first try to get deliver to work alone, and only then
try to make the Sieve plugin work. Easier to get one thing working at
a time.