[Dovecot] proxy host specified as fqdn in userdb

Steven F Siirila sfs at tc.umn.edu
Wed Mar 28 01:27:16 EEST 2007

On Tue, Mar 27, 2007 at 11:28:54PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On 27.3.2007, at 3.35, Steven F Siirila wrote:
>
> >>The problem with this is that it would require adding asynchronous
> >>DNS
> >>library to Dovecot, or alternatively hoping that your DNS server is
> >>never down (and hanging when it is). I don't really want to implement
> >>the latter, and adding async DNS library just for proxying which
> >>is used
> >>by very few people seems a bit bloaty.
> >
> >If we require SSL/TLS connections, are we not always "proxying"
> >connections?
> >if that is true, and most folks require SSL/TLS (is that not the
> >case??),
> >then wouldn't most folks then be used by lots of people?

Of course I meant "then wouldn't most folks be proxying?"

> And how many people are proxying SSL/TLS connections to different
> computers?

I don't know about that, but what I'm asking is..  how many people
are allowing IMAP/POP3 connections (with authentication via user/pw)
over non-secure (non-SSL/TLS) connections?  I wouldn't think there
would be many nowadays, and that there would be less as time passes.
If that assumption is true, then I would think proxying would be very
common (at least within a host where the imap-login and imap processes
are paired together doing SSL/TLS).

--

Steven F. Siirila			Office: Lind Hall, Room 130B
Internet Services			E-mail: sfs at umn.edu
Office of Information Technology	Voice: (612) 626-0244
University of Minnesota			Fax: (612) 626-7593