[Dovecot] Return error instead of dying on time back skip?

Amon Ott ao at m-privacy.de
Wed May 2 11:52:38 EEST 2007

Hello everybody!

Currently, dovecot just kills itself if it detects that time has moved
backwards more than a hardcoded number of seconds. I accept the
reasons, but I do not like to restart dovecot manually after waiting
for time to move forward again. A cron job would not help, because
time might still be wrong when it restarts dovecot.

All our systems run ntpd, but they might be offline for a while before
they get contact to a time server, e.g. because of DSL problems. When
they do get contact and time is too far off, ntpd sets the new time
directly (yes, it could gradually do that, but it might take ages).

Now I wonder if Dovecot could return errors to the users instead of
dying until time is fine again, e.g. "System time has moved
backwards, please come back in n seconds". If the time skip is just a
few seconds, it can of course delay and then go on as it does now.

With this change, no admin would be needed to carefully restart
Dovecot at the right time. I have not looked into Dovecot code myself
yet, but could try a patch if necessary.

Amon Ott
--
Amon Ott - m-privacy GmbH
Am Köllnischen Park 1, 10179 Berlin