[Dovecot] How to use option allow_nets?

Bernd Kuhls bernd.kuhls at informatik.uni-oldenburg.de
Wed May 2 16:19:36 EEST 2007

Hi,

according to
http://wiki.dovecot.fi/PasswordDatabase/ExtraFields/AllowNets

there exists an option allow_nets to restrict IP ranges from where
users are allowed to login to Dovecot.

I am using Debian Etch with the official Dovecot packages:
# dpkg -l | grep dovecot
ii  dovecot-common                    1.0.rc15-2
ii  dovecot-imapd                     1.0.rc15-2
ii  dovecot-pop3d                     1.0.rc15-2

using a mostly unchanged dovecot.conf.

I tried to add the line

   allow_nets=127.0.0.0/8,192.168.0.0/16

in the block

   passdb pam {

which is the default enabled auth code in Debian.

When starting Dovecot I get this error message:

# /etc/init.d/dovecot start
Starting mail server: dovecot
Error: Error in configuration file /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf line 777:
Unknown setting: allow_nets

According to the Dovecot changelog

 >    * src/auth/: auth-request.c, auth-request.h: Added "allow_nets"
 >       extra field. If set, the user can log in only from within the
 >       given networks (hope the code is correct...)

the option exists since February 2006, while the Debian package was
released in December 2006.

What I am doing wrong?

Using TCP wrappers instead seems not to be an option according to
http://dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2006-April/012476.html

Greetings, Bernd Kuhls