[Dovecot] read only bug?

Andy Shellam andy.shellam-lists at mailnetwork.co.uk
Fri May 4 22:46:03 EEST 2007

I think the main question is, why do you have/want a read-only maildir?

By definition a maildir is constantly changing.  In your case, dovecot
was trying to class a new e-mail as "read", hence the move from "new" to
"cur."  Other ways in which a maildir changes, is the changing of the
message size (S=... flag in the filename), and adding new flags to the
end of a message, as well as the obvious moving messages between folders
etc.

If you want to stop certain people from changing things in the maildir,
you need to be looking at ACLs rather than file-system permissions.

Andy.