[Dovecot] Converting Courier mailboxes to Dovecot

Andy Shellam andy.shellam-lists at mailnetwork.co.uk
Fri May 4 23:56:28 EEST 2007

Hi,

I have around 100 mailboxes (maildirs) to convert from Courier IMAP
(4.1.3) to Dovecot.

(From a recent backup) I've tested a few mailboxes on Dovecot 1.0.0, and
while the client doesn't notice any difference (at least in Thunderbird)
I'm hoping to get rid of the old Courier folders and convert any useful
information they may have into Dovecot.

I've tried Timo's migration script
(http://www.dovecot.org/tools/courier-dovecot-migrate.pl) but it fails
at line 230 with a "no file/directory" error.
At that line, it appears to be finding Courier's keywords folder
(courierimapkeywords), and looking for a file called ":list".

However in my mailboxes, there's no file by that name, only what looks
like a set of standard IMAP filenames, most of which are empty files.

If I can't salvage anything useful, is there any adverse effects to me
deleting all the "courier*" files/folders from each mailbox and
subfolders so when the client connects back when Dovecot's running, it
creates it's own UIDs and keywords etc?

Thanks

Andy.