[Dovecot] Method to globally limit network access

Marcus White 1midniterider at comcast.net
Sat May 5 12:26:44 EEST 2007

On Mon, 2007-04-30 at 08:26 -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:
> Charles Marcus wrote:
> > Marcus O. White wrote:
> >> G'day All,
> >>
> >> I am new to dovecot. I've run across the "allow_net" to restrict access
> >> on what seems like a per user basis. Is the a way to global limit access
> >> to one or more networks?
> >
> > Umm... you already found it (but you probably already realized this)...
> > but it is 'allow_nets'... ;)
>
> My bad - didn't read closely enough that this is a passdb thingie (been
> doing that a lot lately)...

G'day Charles,

Looks like the only way is to use iptables as you first suggested. I was
hoping to find method within dovecot or by possibly using tcpwrappers.
On a RHEL/FC system modifying the /etc/sysconfig/iptables file to
include the source (ie -s 192.168.1.0/24) to limit access works, but
then one could no longer use the system-config-securitylevel command to
modify the file.

Marcus O.