[Dovecot] Dovecot not handling r/o mailboxes completely, and problem with ACL as a workaround

Matt Zukowski mzukowski at urbacon.net
Mon May 7 17:16:18 EEST 2007

Adam, unfortunately I don't have an answer for you, but I'd just like to
add that we've had no luck getting dovecot's ACL working properly here
either (see my previous message: "some clarification re: ACL"). No one
responded to my original message, which leads me to suspect that the ACL
feature isn't widely used (if at all) and is therefore not fully
implemented.

P.S. Sorry Adam, that should have gone out to the list rather than to
you personally.

Adam McDougall wrote:
> First of all, I think dovecot is really fantastic and I have thanks for all
> the hard work.  I think it will be the best fit for my ~5000 users when I
> have it setup completely.  We normally have approx 500 concurrent IMAP
> connections during the day.
>
> I am trying to convert from courier-imap to dovecot, but I have an issue with
> public namespace folders that are not writable by certain users.  Please let me
> know if I need to provide more information or how I can help solve this issue.
>
> In courier-imap, we were able to take advantage of the maildir structure
> and standard unix users/groups to allow 'decsstaff' members to have full write
> access while 'decsall' members only have r/o unless also a member of
> 'decsstaff':
>
> -rw-rw-r--  1 postlocal  decsstaff  37597 May  5 23:37
> /egr/mail/shared/decs/.support.In/cur/1178422658.M533373P54269.ice
> drwxrwxr-x  2 postlocal  decsstaff  24576 May  5 23:37
> /egr/mail/shared/decs/.support.In/cur
> drwxrws---  6 postlocal  decsall  4096 Apr 22 18:08 /egr/mail/shared/decs/.support.In
> drwxrwsr-x  34 postlocal  wheel  4096 May  1 07:23 /egr/mail/shared/decs
>
> In short, upper directories are used to limit world access to just one group
> 'decsall', and once inside, r/o world access could be used as an anonymous
> substitution for 'decsall' and the group permissions would allow writing by
> 'decsstaff'.  I don't know how courier stores and checks mail directory
> permissions, but it was aware when a user would not be able to delete or change
> messages and would return a READ-ONLY imap error when an attempt to change a
> message occurred (courier returns this in the IMAP response to update mail flags
> to reflect that the client wants to move to delete a mail).  I understand that
> imap clients will usually only set status as read or deleted first and only try
> to delete an email for real on expunge, but it seems dovecot does not try to
> detect if a message is modifyable before it is too late for the user to find
> out.  What happens is a user appears to be able to mark messages read, move them
> to another folder, or delete them (another way of moving to another folder eg.
> Trash).  The user is clueless that the changes will not occur, and only finds
> out later when they reload the folder to find the messages back, or tries to
> expunge and get an unhelpful 'internal error' from dovecot (I can help trace
> this situation if it helps, but I think that stage should not be reached if
> things were working right).  My configuration has the public folder control and
> indexes inside a user's home directory, so it will always be possible for
> dovecot to record message status changes, however I do not think dovecot should
> update the control and indexes to reflect an IMAP operation that is not allowed
> to complete due to restricted permissions on the actual email file.  I suppose
> dovecot would have to check the permissions on mail message files.

> [...]

This e-mail message is privileged, confidential and subject to copyright. Any unauthorized use or disclosure is prohibited.
Le contenu du pr'esent courriel est privil'egi'e, confidentiel et soumis `a des droits d'auteur. Il est interdit de l'utiliser ou de le divulguer sans autorisation.