[Dovecot] some clarification re: ACL?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed May 9 11:19:26 EEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-02 at 12:40 -0400, Matt Zukowski wrote:
> The ACL documentation is at http://wiki.dovecot.org/ACL is a bit
> vague... I'd be happy to update it myself, but I need some clarification:
>
> For example, I have a dovecot-acl file with:
>
> group=portal_admin lrw
> anyone l

The page also contains "Groups aren't currently supported, but only
because the groups can't be specified in userdb currently."

> Secondly, what is the group-override identifier supposed to do?

Updated the page:

Group-override identifier allows you to override users' ACLs. Probably
the most useful reason to do this is to temporarily disable access for
some users. For example:

user=timo rw
group-override=tempdisabled

Now if timo is in tempdisabled group, he has no access to the mailbox.
This wouldn't be possible with a normal group identifier, because the
user=timo would override it.

> Thirdly, are spaces and other special characters allowed in the
> group/username identifiers?

Spaces unfortunately aren't. I was thinking about this myself also a
while ago. I'm not sure what would be the best way to change the current
format to support spaces.

Other characters are allowed.