[Dovecot] Virtual User Home Directory, and APOP Clear Text Passwords

imacat imacat at mail.imacat.idv.tw
Fri May 11 20:25:45 EEST 2007

On Fri, 11 May 2007 17:45:23 +0300
Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 12:22 +0800, imacat wrote:
> >      1. I have a few virtual users, and I'm not using IMAP.  Do I still
> > have to give them a writable home directory?  I mean, they exists only
> See the bottom of http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailLocation/Mbox

    Oh.  That is very nice.  I obviously missed it.  It is working.  Thank
you.

> >      2. I would like to use APOP in addition to SSL/TLS.  Currently
> > Dovecot saves APOP passwords as clear text.  I understand this.  But is
> > it possible to have some sort of encoding, for example, Base64?  Just to
> Currently there isn't anything like that. But I guess for v1.1 I could
> finally make it possible to specify base64/hex encoding in the scheme,
> so you could use eg. {plain.b64} or {plain.hex}.

    That is really very nice.  I'm awaiting.

> If you really need this now you could also modify the sources yourself.
> It should be pretty easy to add a new plain.b64 scheme to
> src/auth/password-scheme.c (could also be implemented as a plugin)

    Well, I tried.  It's a little harder than "pretty easy". ^^;  There
are more source files other than src/auth/password-scheme.c that need to
be updated accordingly, too, like src/auth/passdb.c.  But I still
believe it is easy, since base64_encode() is already there.  I'll wait
for the next summer anyway. ^_*'

--
Best regards,
imacat ^_*' <imacat at mail.imacat.idv.tw>