[Dovecot] Mixing MBOX and Maildir?

Tom Alsberg alsbergt at cs.huji.ac.il
Sun May 13 16:59:54 EEST 2007

On Sun, May 13, 2007 at 03:26:40PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-05-13 at 13:45 +0300, Tom Alsberg wrote:
> > Another wish would be a better form of cascading - subfolders as
> > subdirectories, instead of this awkward Maildir++ dot-separated
> > format.
>
> I think this is possible already with CVS HEAD:
>
> mail_location = Maildir:~/Maildir:LAYOUT=fs

I'll try that out.  Will be nice if it works.

> > Having looked again at the code, this does indeed not seem all that
> > easy.  The code handling the mailbox namespace browsing seems too
> > tightly integrated with the code handling the mailboxes themselves.
>
> Did you look at v1.0 or the CVS HEAD?

1.0, for now.  That's the last version I built here.  I'll look at 1.1
now that I have heard there are interesting changes there.

> > I suppose it would be best if those two were separated, so a namespace
> > module will handle issues like "what subfolders does the folder Foo
> > have" and "what is the physical path for folder Foo.Bar", while the
> > mailbox module will handle issues like "what messages are there in
> > folder whose physical path is mail/.Foo.Bar" and "fetch the message
> > with UID 117 from the folder whose physical path is mail/.Foo.Bar".
> > The mailbox access module will query the namespace module to obtain
> > those paths.
>
> This is what mailbox_list and mailbox_storage separation was supposed to
> do. There is still 1:1:1 with
> mailbox_list:mail_namespace:mail_storage

Meaning that every mailbox_list module needs to have a corresponding
mail_storage module and vice versa?

> but I don't think it's too difficult to change that. At least compared
> to what it's like in v1.0.

I'll check what has changed in CVS since 1.0...

  Thanks,
  -- Tom

--
  Tom Alsberg - hacker (being the best description fitting this space)
  Web page:	http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~alsbergt/