[Dovecot] header-lines of subfolders have to be rescanned after each client startup

Rainer Sigl sigl at mpe.mpg.de
Mon May 14 10:23:12 EEST 2007

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-05-11 at 22:16 +0200, Rainer Sigl wrote:
>
>>no, I don't use NFS but it may be a permission problem.
>>I have virtual users so all the directories belong a artificial user
>>'exim' and also group 'exim'. Additionally I saw now that the file
>>dovecot-uidlist has the protection 600. The creation date of
>>dovecot-uidlist is the date when I synced first time the folders with
>>dovecot after installation. But strangely a change of the permissions to
>>666 has no effect, dove-cot isn't changed.
>

> dovecot-uidlist is supposed to be 0600. Are the imap processes running
> as "exim" user as well?
yes they do. imap are running as 'exim', imap-login as 'dovecot'

> Don't you see any errors in Dovecot's logs (see
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/Logging)?

no, nothing apparent.
I just changed the log configuration as in you weblink that  dovecot
logs are written in separate files

>>A additional info may be that I migrated von courier imap.
>>So the mainfolder INBOX. and single subfolders have a correct changing
>>dovecot-uidlist with 600 and exim exim.
>>All subfolders below the upper subfolders (.Sent.2005.2-Mar) don't
>>change dovecot-uidlist.
>

> dovecot-uidlist changes only when new messages arrive or when existing
> messages are expunged. So I guess it's normal that in archived Sent
> boxes the uidlist isn't modified.
ok, maybe dovecot-uidlist is ok so. But why my client has to rescan?

--
Rainer Sigl,                      | email: sigl at mpe.mpg.de
MPI f. extraterrestrische Physik, | phone: +49 (89) 30000-3557
Postfach 1312,                    | fax:   +49 (89) 30000-3569
D-85741 Garching, Germany         | web:   http://www.mpe.mpg.de/~sigl/