[Dovecot] Getting rid of the common newbie problems

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed May 16 16:38:40 EEST 2007

On Wed, 2007-05-16 at 09:29 -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:
> > I see what you're getting at, but personally i really like having plenty
> > of documentation in the config files. That way when you're editing the
> > config file, you can know exactly what you're doing and have good
> > descriptions right in front of you....
> >
> > Of course this is no substitute for other documentation like manual/wiki
> > etc
>
> Maybe the answer is to have two .conf files - one, the example, that
> contains the comments as it is now, and the other, the basic config
> file, with bare minimum comments.
>
> Of course, this means twice as much work for Timo, unless he can do this
> with his IDE somehow (have two different 'comment' fields, one for the
> .example.conf, and one for the minimal version)? Since I'm not a
> programmer and never used an IDE or cvs, not sure how dumb this sounds... ;)

I think my plan is to

1) Split the config files, so the less used settings are separate files

2) Remove some of the settings completely from dovecot-example.conf,
although they could still exist (mail_cache_fields,
mail_never_cache_fields at least)

3) Make the comments smaller and add more pointers to docs/wiki/ files.