[Dovecot] Getting rid of the common newbie problems

Bruce Bodger bbodger at bodcon.com
Wed May 16 17:09:57 EEST 2007

On May 16, 2007, at 9:29 AM, Charles Marcus wrote:

>> I see what you're getting at, but personally i really like having
>> plenty of documentation in the config files. That way when you're
>> editing the config file, you can know exactly what you're doing
>> and have good descriptions right in front of you....
>> Of course this is no substitute for other documentation like
>> manual/wiki etc

On the subject of newbie questions...

The dovecot-example.conf file, under Mailbox locations and
namespaces,  states,

"If you're using mbox, giving a path to the INBOX file (eg. /var/mail/
%u) isn't enough. You'll also need to tell Dovecot where the other
mailboxes are and where Dovecot can place its index files. This is
called the "root mail directory", and it must be the first path given
in the mail_location setting."

Yet both mbox examples describe otherwise.  The first example,
"mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%u" has no INDEX
definition and the second example, "mail_location = mbox:/var/mail/%d/
%1n/%n:INDEX=/var/indexes/%d/%1n/%n" shows the INDEX definition last
when the instructions state that it must be first.

I happen to be using (under OS X),

"mail_location = mbox:~/Library/Mail/IMAP:INBOX=/var/mail/%u:INDEX=%h/
Library/Mail/DOVECOT.indexes "

...without any problems so basically, I find the instructions a bit
confusing.

B. Bodger
New York, NY