[Dovecot] NFS lock contention for dovecot-uidlist

Doug Council dcouncil at nethere.com
Mon May 21 03:32:52 EEST 2007

I wanted to followup on my NFS lock issue with dovecot-uidlist.

After doing some research, the current FreeBSD NFS client (as of 6.2-
STABLE at least) appears to have  a long-standing bug with caching on
files with high create/removal rates.  With the NFS access cache
enabled or disabled, the NFS client still uses another cache for
certain file attributes and requires at least a second to go by
before it will invalidate an entry if it was deleted.  If the file
attributes are accessed before the second is up, the timer is restarted.

Since the dotlocking code in Dovecot micro-sleeps for less than a
second between each check for the .lock file, the entry is never
removed from the cache's cache, so the lstat() on the lock file
always returns 0 (success).  This never allows the lock file to be re-
created until the stall timeout is reached.  All Dovecot processes
(IMAP, POP3, deliver) hang until the kernel invalidates the entry,
causing the problem.  Using a sleep() call > 1 second after removing
the lock and before attempting to use it again helps, but is
obviously not very performance-friendly for a high-volume mail server.

The other solution I've found that seems to work is updating the
mtime on the .lock file if all other dotlocking checks fail in
check_lock() in src/lib/file-dotlock.c (see attached patch).  This
invalidates the cached entry in the kernel and allows lstat() to
return the correct response (-1), as the .lock file no longer
exists.  I didn't check to see if the utime() fails, as it just means
the kernel invalidated the entry when it should have and can be ignored.

I have performed some high-volume delivery (deliver) and pickup
testing (imap and pop3) using the workaround, and so far everything
has worked as expected for all Dovecot control files, including indexes.

Does anyone know of any side effects the forced mtime update may have
that I may not be seeing?

Thanks again for any assistance.

-Doug