[Dovecot] Weirdness and Questions...

James thenetimp at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 09:48:44 EET 2007

version 1.0.7

OK, so here is my weirdness.  I sent mail to the server from the
command line.

mail username at localhost < /etc/passwd

When I open /var/spool/mail/username  I can see 2 messages. The
"system" message at the top and the the message produced from my
command line email.

If I HUP the process that runs xinet.d and re-open the users mail
spool the 2nd email disappears which I wouldn't expect.  Has anyone
seen this before.  My SMTP server could be EXIM or Sendmail.  My co-
admin is in the process from switching over from to EXIM.  I am not
sure if the SMTP server has anything to do with it or not.

I can see the contents of all the email in ~/mail which is rsynced
from my old server so that seems to be working properly.

I have mail_locatiion in my config file, do I need anything else?

mail_location = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u

In my list of mailboxes that are in ~/mail  I see 2 folders that I'd
rather not see.  There .customeflags and .INBOX  Anyway to hide these,
as they are not needed in my opinion.

Thanks,
James