[Dovecot] What is your dovecot setup?

Bill Cole dovecot-20061108 at billmail.scconsult.com
Tue Sep 18 07:15:48 EEST 2007

At 2:10 AM +0100 9/18/07, Timothy Murphy  imposed structure on a
stream of electrons, yielding:
>On Tue 18 Sep 2007, Bill Cole wrote:
>
>>  >A concrete example of an actual mail setup
>>  >and how this is seen by an IMAP client
>>  >would have been much more useful, in my view.
>>
>>  Aside from creating the top-level Maildir directory and telling
>>  whatever your delivery agent is where to find it (and perhaps telling
>>  Dovecot, if it is a strange place...), you don't need to set any of
>>  the Maildir structure up or go digging into it on the filesystem
>>  level. Dovecot presents an Inbox to IMAP clients, and IMAP clients
>>  can tell Dovecot to create whatever logical directory structures the
>>  user wants.
>
>Surely it would take far less time to give your actual setup
>than it would to explain (at length) how easy it is to set it up ...

The two dozen subfolders of my IMAP account are really not going to
be helpful for you to know, and frankly, are none of your business.

>Here is my server directory setup:
>~/Maildir/[cur,new,tmp], ~/Maildir/.Family/[cur,new,tmp], etc.
>
>My dovecot.conf sets
>	mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir/

That should not be necessary, since it is where Dovecot looks first,
but it should be harmless.

>My .procmailrc sets
>	MAILDIR=/var/spool/mail
>	DEFAULT=$HOME/Maildir/

It's been a long time since I used procmail, but that looks wrong.
See http://wiki.dovecot.org/procmail for details.

>I cannot see the Family folder from my IMAPS client.
>Also it complains of the lack of .INBOX.directory
>("Could Not Determine Resource Status").

A concrete problem description, at last.

1. Is .Family a proper Maildir++ directory? i.e. does it have a
maildirfolder file in it?  Missing that would cause Dovecot to not
use it.

2. If your mail client (KMail?) provides a way to set the IMAP path
prefix and it is set to INBOX, remove that. It looks like your client
wants that prefix, which hints at you maybe having used Courier in
the past... See http://wiki.dovecot.org/MissingMailboxes

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com