[Dovecot] What is your dovecot setup?

Benjamin R. Haskell dovecot at benizi.com
Tue Sep 18 07:42:35 EEST 2007

On Tue, 18 Sep 2007, Bill Cole wrote:

> At 2:10 AM +0100 9/18/07, Timothy Murphy  imposed structure on a stream of
> electrons, yielding:
>
>> I cannot see the Family folder from my IMAPS client.
>> Also it complains of the lack of .INBOX.directory
>> ("Could Not Determine Resource Status").
>
> A concrete problem description, at last.
>
> 1. Is .Family a proper Maildir++ directory? i.e. does it have a maildirfolder
> file in it?  Missing that would cause Dovecot to not use it.

That's not true (in dovecot-1.0.3, at least). I have no problems accessing
any of the subfolders under my ~/Maildir/, but:

$ find ~/Maildir -name cur | wc -l
18
$ find ~/Maildir -name maildirfolder | wc -l
5

i.e. Only 5 of 18 subfolders have that file. I think the dovecot-created
folders have it, whereas the procmail-created folders do not. And, as a
test:

$ find ~/Maildir -name maildirfolder -exec rm '{}' \;

had no ill effect on the visibility of my folders. That said, I also don't
use quotas of any kind, so I can't speak as to its effects on the '++' of
Maildir++.

Best,
Ben