[Dovecot] What is your dovecot setup?

Tomi Hakala tomi.hakala at pobox.fi
Mon Sep 24 14:29:01 EEST 2007

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I'd be really grateful if someone running a dovecot IMAP (or IMAPS) server
> could tell me exactly how their email folders are arranged.

A while back when I was running mid-size Dovecot installation on which
mail spool was arranged something like

/san/%LUN/domain/%UID/inbox

Indexes were at /var/lib/dovecot/%LUN/domain/%UID/ or thereabouts.

Currently I am running just a small personal server where I use ~/Maildir/.

> What is the mail_location setting in /etc/dovecot.conf ?

mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir:INDEX=/var/spool/dovecot/%u

Homes are on RAID-5 (compressed ZFS), INDEX location is on RAID-10 (also
compressed ZFS).

> Does the client see an inbox folder?

Yes.

> If so, what directory on the server contains these email messages?

Standard Maildir locations

~/Maildir/new for unread messages
~/Maildir/cur for read messages

Tomi