[Dovecot] plugin problem

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Sat Sep 29 18:55:25 EEST 2007

On Sat, 2007-09-29 at 17:23 +0200, Lars Stavholm wrote:

> > Q: And if the user moves a message from Spam folder to trash folder,
> > will it be considered innocent?
> > A: Thats a big problem. When a message is deleted by a MUA its usually
> > copied from one folder to another and then deleted, but there is no
> > default trash folder in imap, so, you have to be able to configure a lot
> > of "possible trash folders" to ignore then, thats why I prefer to have a
> > external program controlling dspam.
>
> I don't see this as a problem at all (why create one when there's
> none to be found:):

Well, if the user insist on deleting his spam folder *and* has a client
that insists on using a trash folder (I tell people using my setup to
turn off trash folders) then there may be a problem. But my plugin has
an option to ignore trash folders.

> * Using the expire plugin, the Spam folder will be emptied auto-
>   matically in due time (typically 30 days maybe) without user
>   intervention.

FWIW, I just put this up a few hours ago:
http://johannes.sipsolutions.net/Projects/dovecot-dspam-integration#additionaltools

> > Well, by now I dont have much, but I really would like to know how to
> > find the filename of a message being copied from a folder to another.
>
> No such luck (I think): to my understanding (with the help of
> Johannes in previous reply in this thread), you'd have to create
> a temporary file with the mail message using tmpnam() +
> mail_get_stream() or similar, and then do your thing.
>
> I'm aiming towards that exact functionality: I want to be able
> to do training using "pristine" source (so I'll need the whole
> message), and keep the previous functionality using signatures.
> We'll see how it goes.

You could simply log the signature and do signature-based training.
Actually, somebody has done exactly that with logging to mysql. Search
the list archives to find the variation of the dspam plugin doing that.

Sounds almost like the dspam plugin needs to grow a plugin system itself
to support all the backend configuration and various dspam installations
like with/without signature in uid etc. You guys want to pool and buy me
to do that? ;)

johannes