[Dovecot] plugin problem

Lars Stavholm stava at telcotec.se
Sat Sep 29 19:22:35 EEST 2007

Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-09-29 at 17:23 +0200, Lars Stavholm wrote:
>
>>> Q: And if the user moves a message from Spam folder to trash folder,
>>> will it be considered innocent?
>>> A: Thats a big problem. When a message is deleted by a MUA its usually
>>> copied from one folder to another and then deleted, but there is no
>>> default trash folder in imap, so, you have to be able to configure a lot
>>> of "possible trash folders" to ignore then, thats why I prefer to have a
>>> external program controlling dspam.
>> I don't see this as a problem at all (why create one when there's
>> none to be found:):
>
> Well, if the user insist on deleting his spam folder *and* has a client
> that insists on using a trash folder (I tell people using my setup to
> turn off trash folders) then there may be a problem. But my plugin has
> an option to ignore trash folders.
>
>> * Using the expire plugin, the Spam folder will be emptied auto-
>>   matically in due time (typically 30 days maybe) without user
>>   intervention.
>
> FWIW, I just put this up a few hours ago:
> http://johannes.sipsolutions.net/Projects/dovecot-dspam-integration#additionaltools

Good stuff! Timo hinted the other day that
the expire plugin might not work as expected:)

>>> Well, by now I dont have much, but I really would like to know how to
>>> find the filename of a message being copied from a folder to another.
>> No such luck (I think): to my understanding (with the help of
>> Johannes in previous reply in this thread), you'd have to create
>> a temporary file with the mail message using tmpnam() +
>> mail_get_stream() or similar, and then do your thing.
>>
>> I'm aiming towards that exact functionality: I want to be able
>> to do training using "pristine" source (so I'll need the whole
>> message), and keep the previous functionality using signatures.
>> We'll see how it goes.
>
> You could simply log the signature and do signature-based training.
> Actually, somebody has done exactly that with logging to mysql. Search
> the list archives to find the variation of the dspam plugin doing that.

I'll see if I can get the signature based training working reliably
with the dspam hash driver, in which case I would possibly not
implement the trainPristine option in the dspam plugin. Instead,
the dspam plugin would merely be upgraded to fit dovecot-1.1.

> Sounds almost like the dspam plugin needs to grow a plugin system itself
> to support all the backend configuration and various dspam installations
> like with/without signature in uid etc. You guys want to pool and buy me
> to do that? ;)

No such luck, I'm too poor:)

Cheers
/Lars