[Dovecot] dovecot howto?

Olaf Zaplinski oz at tuxfriends.net
Wed Dec 10 19:08:31 EET 2008

Hi,

is there a *simple* HOWTO that explains a simple postfix+dovecot setup? Up
to now, I used postfix+cyrus, worked fine. But I do not get postfix+dovecot
to work. Currently, all emails go to /dev/null.

What really would help me is a dovecot lmtp server. Is there any?

Regards
Olaf

postfix main.cf:

# -- delivery options
#
local_recipient_maps =
virtual_alias_maps = btree:/etc/postfix/virtual
alias_maps = btree:/etc/postfix/aliases
alias_database = btree:/etc/postfix/aliases
# mailbox_command = /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver
mailbox_transport = dovecot

postfix master.cf:

dovecot         unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
         flags=DRhu user=vmail:vmail argv=/usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -f
${sender} -d ${recipient}

dovecot.conf:

mail_location = maildir:/home/vmail/%u
namespace private {
    separator = '/'
    inbox = yes
}

auth default {
   mechanisms = cram-md5 plain
   verbose = yes
   passdb passwd-file {
     args = /etc/dovecot/passwd
   }
   userdb static {
     args = uid=vmail gid=vmail home=/home/vmail/%u
   }
   socket listen {
     client {
       # Assuming the default Postfix $queue_directory setting
       path = /var/spool/postfix/private/auth
       mode = 0660
       # Assuming the default Postfix user and group
       user = postfix
       group = postfix
     }
   }