[Dovecot] Return-Patch new Sieve plugin

Stephan Bosch stephan at rename-it.nl
Wed Dec 10 22:14:41 EET 2008

Diederick van Dijk schreef:
> Here is a part .dovecot.sieve.log file
>
> sieve: info: started log at Dec 10 09:58:30.
> main script: line 24: error: specified header 'Return-Path' is not
> allowed for the address test.
> main script: line 32: error: specified header 'Return-Path' is not
> allowed for the address test.
> main script: line 44: error: specified header 'Return-Path' is not
> allowed for the address test.
>
> elsif allof (address :contains "Return-Path"
> "<ipw2100-devel-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net>") {
>   fileinto
> "INBOX.Mailinglists.ipw2100";
>
> }      main script: error: validation failed.

Ah, that sheds some light on the issue. This new behaviour is a direct
result of the new Sieve RFC (5228). The RFC now states on what headers
the address test is allowed, which does not include the Return-Path
header. I was not entirely sure of the intention of this new limitation
and I started a discussion on this. As it turns out many implementations
relax this and my interpretation is a bit harsh: the current
implementation throws a hard compile error when a disallowed header is
used. I intend to change this to allow all headers that are parseable as
an address. Errors are then only encountered at runtime and a warning is
logged if the address test fails due to an invalid address. Currently,
you are unfortunately forced to use the header test or use the envelope
test (which should yield the same information).

Regards,

--
Stephan Bosch
stephan at rename-it.nl