[Dovecot] OT: Looking for a robust IMAP client

Mon Dec 15 21:20:12 EET 2008

On 12/15/2008, Ed W (lists at wildgooses.com) wrote:
>> Thunderbird was able to do a mass select of one of the two messages,
>> and deleted 65,000, but after that it locked up.

I'd never try to delete that many at once...

It very likely wasn't locked up though, it probably was working
furiously to try to do what you told it to do - the problem is, it can
*appear* to be locked up, even for many minutes, but if you let it go,
it will eventually finish (or time out)...

But, if you ever try this again, it helps a LOT if you do a
'SHIFT-delete' (press/hold the shift key, then tap the Delete button on
the keyboard) - this bypasses the Trash - otherwise, it isn't deleting
them it is MOVING them to the Trash, which can take a long time for that
many messages.

I usually work with a thousand or so at a time if I need to do something
like this, and it works, although it certainly isn't instantaneous...

--

Best regards,

Charles