[Dovecot] OT: Looking for a robust IMAP client

Stewart Dean sdean at bard.edu
Mon Dec 15 21:34:39 EET 2008

Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 12/15/2008, Ed W (lists at wildgooses.com) wrote:
>
>>> Thunderbird was able to do a mass select of one of the two messages,
>>> and deleted 65,000, but after that it locked up.
>>>

> I'd never try to delete that many at once...
>
> It very likely wasn't locked up though, it probably was working
> furiously to try to do what you told it to do - the problem is, it can
> *appear* to be locked up, even for many minutes, but if you let it go,
> it will eventually finish (or time out)...

Pine did it in2-3 minutes  with one imapd instance; TBird was thrashing
mightly for 20+ minutes with 4-8 imapd instances, and no progress in
site....even after Pine had deleted the inbox down to 2000 messages.
> But, if you ever try this again, it helps a LOT if you do a
> 'SHIFT-delete' (press/hold the shift key, then tap the Delete button on
> the keyboard) - this bypasses the Trash - otherwise, it isn't deleting
> them it is MOVING them to the Trash, which can take a long time for that
> many messages.

Was not moving to Trash, just directly expunging stuff that had been
marked for deletion
> I usually work with a thousand or so at a time if I need to do something
> like this, and it works, although it certainly isn't instantaneous...

With <sigh, I know, I know> a mbox format inbox, I don't know that it
matters much whether it's 10 files or 10,000...it's still gotta haul out
the whole ugly thing.
We had a bad, bad user that got up to 1.3GB...and our server still
handled it without undue distress.  Must be some amazingly optimized
file system I/O in the O/S (AIX)

--
==== Once upon a time, the Internet was a friendly,
neighbors-helping-neighbors small town, and no one locked their doors.