[Dovecot] Bug in Dovecot 1.0.5 - CRYPT-MD5 not working

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Dec 31 02:15:17 EET 2008

On Dec 31, 2008, at 1:50 AM, Jim Salter wrote:

> Hrm.  OK, not arguing, just curious: where is the MD5-CRYPT standard
> defined?

I don't think it's a real standard. It's just something that libcs
started implementing. I think OpenBSD did it first and then others
started copying.

> Worth noting that the (Apache?) standard in question is also the one
> used in vpopmail vpasswd.cdb files (authdb vpopmail, userdb vpopmail).

Would it work if you simply changed $apr1$ to $1$? I can't really see
why $apr1$ would otherwise work in glibc. I just checked its sources
and also Ubuntu patches. There's no mention of apr1 in them.