[Dovecot] Telephone systems and Dovecot

Jonathan Knight j.knight at kis.keele.ac.uk
Sun Mar 9 22:21:44 EET 2008

Hi folks,

We're looking to integrate our telephone system with our email system.
The telephone system will use IMAP4 to store WAV files in a users
mailbox and then retrieve them for playing if necessary.  This is
usually called "unified messaging".

The manufacturers are claiming full integration with Microsoft Exchange
and Lotus Notes using IMAP4 and a single username and password to access
all the users mailboxes.  I can see that Dovecot has a master user
feature that looks like it will do the job.

Has anyone had any experience of using dovecot as a unified message
server for a telephone system and has anyone any experience of
configuring dovecot so that an MS exchange IMAP4 client using a master
user can use dovecot without changing the client?

Jon.