[Dovecot] dovecot-1.1.rc3 segmentation fault in fetch_bodystructure

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Mar 11 12:54:46 EET 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 09:55 +0100, Diego Liziero wrote:
> The most failing assertion (9694 times in 2 days) is the one I posted yesterday:
> Panic: IMAP(username): file index-sync.c: line 39
> (index_mailbox_set_recent_uid): assertion failed:
> (seq_range_exists(&ibox->recent_flags, uid))
>
> It happens when users are moving messages to Trash folder with thunderbird.
> The workaround for the user is to delete directly the messages without
> moving them to Trash.

You mean it's reproducible easily? I tried to reproduce it myself today
but wasn't able to.

The problem is that Dovecot tries to mark a message \Recent in the
middle of mailbox, but only new messages at the end of the mailbox can
become \Recent, so it crashes.

Do your users have direct access to mboxes?

> We had also some trouble with pop3. A couple of users weren't able to
> get new mail (see log below) until we deleted completely their .imap
> dir.

> Error: POP3(username): Cached message offset lost for seq 1 in mbox
> file /maildir/username
> Error: POP3(username): Log synchronization error at seq=1,offset=7824
> for /maildir/username/.imap/INBOX/dovecot.index: Broken extension
> introduction: Record field alignmentation 8 not used

If you get this again and the problem doesn't get fixed by itself, I'd
like to get the dovecot.index and dovecot.index.log files to see if I
could reproduce it and get it to fix itself. Those files don't contain
anything sensitive about the mail contents.

But as for why this corruption happens in the first place.. What OS and
filesystem do you use?