[Dovecot] Rootless installation gets ssl-parameters.dat errors

Daniel Bretoi daniel at vinq.com
Wed Mar 19 18:12:12 EET 2008

On Mar 18, 2008, at 10:15 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 17:55 -0700, Daniel Bretoi wrote:
>> In the logfile, i see this:
>>
>> dovecot: Mar 18 16:24:30 Error: ssl-build-param: Can't create
>> temporary SSL parameters file /var/lib/dovecot/ssl-
>> parameters.dat.tmp:
>> Permission denied
>
> This path isn't configurable after installation. If you want to change
> it, use configure --localstatedir parameter.

I think this is the only thing between me and doing a rootless run
without having to install it myself. Is there any reason why you took
the ssl_parameters_file out?
Dovecot needs to be accessible by other users as this is a sandbox
environment to test an IMAP client we are developing. I don't like to
make installs that are independent of the systems package-management
system.

It would be useful to be able to run Dovecot rootless without having
to make your own build. Also, the location of the ssl-parameters.dat
would change per user since it's in a sandbox environment for us.

>> It is true that  I as a user do not have permissions to read this
>> file, however, I followed all the instructions to run as a rootless
>> user.  I don't seem to be able to specify anywhere where this ssl-
>> parameters file should be copied from.
>
> Did you also give configure --prefix=$HOME? It should have put
> localstatedir under home directory.
>
>> base_dir = /usr/local/sb/daniel/rm/trunk/var/run/dovecot
>
> I guess not, because you wouldn't need this either when prefix was set
> correctly.
>
>> 1.0.rc15
>
> Also since you're already compiling Dovecot yourself, would be a good
> idea to use a newer version than rc15.

I only compiled the latest version to see if the ssl_parameters_file
was present in new builds so I didn't waste your time with something
that has been solved already, but for reasons stated above, it's not
practical for me to do compiles and I prefer to use the system package.

Thanks for your quick response, and an excellent IMAP client.

Daniel