[Dovecot] IMAP labeling sometimes not taken into account

Olivier Cailloux mlsmg at ulb.ac.be
Tue Jun 2 12:12:35 EEST 2009

Timo Sirainen a écrit :
> On Mon, 2009-06-01 at 12:43 +0200, Olivier Cailloux wrote:
>
>> Since the change for dovecot, however, things are going strange.
>> Sometimes the labels disappear for some reasons. Sometimes they stay
>> there. And I can't reproduce the behavior, it just seems random. This is
>> very annoying as it totally breaks my e-mail management.
>>

> Yes, there have been some bugs related to handling them.
>

>> clients agree: this e-mail has a "5" label. BUT when I open the mbox
>> file directly on the imap server (using "less"), and scroll to that
>> given e-mail, I see NO "X-Keywords: " line. How then can the e-mail
>> clients know that this e-mail is labeled?
>>

> The keywords are also stored in Dovecot's index files. Although they
> should still be written to mbox files too.
>

>> 2-12h38-~#dovecot --version
>> 1.0.15
>>

> I'd first try a recent v1.1 release. It might have already fixed this
> bug. Also you could try if setting mbox_lazy_writes=no helps.

Done that. Upgraded to 1.1.15, and set mbox_dirty_syncs: no
and mbox_lazy_writes: no and restarted. Still the same
behavior: some e-mails are still seen as been labeled by
thunderbird while the mbox file does not contain any label
for these e-mails. How can I tell dovecot to re-generate its
index files? I guess they have been wrong at some point and
now it keeps using that wrong information.

Or if anybody has any other idea...
Olivier