[Dovecot] recipient delimiter and lmtp

Tue Jun 2 13:15:03 EEST 2009

On 6/2/2009, Steffen Kaiser (skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de) wrote:
>> The reason I ask is, some sites don't allow the use of the '+'
>> delimiter, so having a second optional character, and/or the ability to
>> use a dot anywhere in the local part, would provide a workaround to
>> these site...

> '+' is the separator of sendmail. The MTA must support it, too, to
> know that the recipient is local.
>
> Qmail uses '-', in postfix you can configure the delimiter.

I know... I don't have local recipients, but you are right, I was
forgetting that recipient validation is done by the MTA...

So, I'd need to find a way to trick postfix into seeing one or more
alternate characters as '+' (or whatever it is defined as), for
recipient validation purposes...

But, the LDA/Sieve would *also* need to be able to handle these same
characters, for Delivery/Filtering purposes.

> To insert a '.' anyplace into the recipient name, you have to do
> something on MTA level. E.g. with sendmail you could map:
>
> 'lo.calRecpient' to 'localRecipient+lo.calRecpient'

But that's not what I want. I want:

lo.calRecipient at example.com = localRecipient at example.com

for both recipient validation *and* Delivery purposes, *but*...

obviously the LDA (in addition to postfix) would have to understand that
they are the same, and Sieve would as well, in order to be able to
filter/file into a folder based on a matching rule *if* one exists - or
just Deliver to the Inbox for localRecipient at example.com if one doesn't.

I have been using this ability in gmail for a long time, and it is
extremely powerful, so I'd just love to see a private implementation.

--

Best regards,

Charles