[Dovecot] dovecot and ntp: Fatal: Time just moved backwards

Arno Wald arno.wald at netcologne.de
Sat Jun 6 22:52:20 EEST 2009

Pascal Volk wrote:
> On Debian systems I'm very happy with the OpenBSD NTP daemon.
> Package: openntpd
> This ntpd adjusts the local time in little steps.

Also on startup? ntpd uses little steps while running, too. But only at
startup it seems to do a big step.

But as I have found in the Debian-Changelog ntpd should handle the
unreachable server situation automatically in current versions. This is
way the "dynamic" command is obsolete. Maybe I did not wait long enough
when testing this. So I could try ntpd again. But good to know there is
the alternative openntp

 From the openntp package description: "Alternative packages which
provide similar functionality are ntp and chrony."

And chrony does what clockspeed seems to do. ;) "`chronyd' determines
the rate at which the computer gains or loses time, and compensates for
this."

Arno