[Dovecot] Dovecot failing to start

dovecot at corwyn.net dovecot at corwyn.net
Tue Jun 23 17:47:42 EEST 2009

At 11:26 AM 6/22/2009, Pascal Volk wrote:
>On 06/22/2009 02:49 PM dovecot at corwyn.net wrote:
> > So I rebooted my mail server, and now dovecot fails to start with:
> > Stopping Dovecot Imap:                                     [FAILED]
> > Starting Dovecot Imap: Fatal: listen(::, 143) failed: Address
> already in use
> >                                                             [FAILED]
>
>What is listening on port 143? aka: netstat -tlnp | grep ':143 '

Nothing was listening on 143. The problem was that the default
configuration of dovecot is for listening for ipv4 and ipv6. We had
previously disabled ipv4 on the NIC and in the kernel, but not
reloaded the settings in modprob.conf.

When we rebooted the server, ipv6 was therefore GONE. dovecot was
trying to listed on 143 on both ipv4 and ipv6, not finding ipv6 and
not starting.

adding "listen = *"  to dovecot.conf (so that it only listens for
ipv4) resovled the problem.

Rick