[Dovecot] New messages notification - (IMAP PUSH?)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue May 5 18:38:33 EEST 2009

On May 5, 2009, at 2:05 AM, Proskurin Kirill wrote:

>>> What can it be and how can I fix it?
>> Do the messages not show up at all?  Or do they not show as new?
>> If you have two mail clients running at the same time, one will
>> miss out on the 'new message' notices.
>
> They not show at all. Then I click at IMAP folder - they start to
> show at that folder. I have about 40 IMAP folders - and it is hard
> to push at every folder minute after minute. ;-)
>
> I not change anything at config and really don`t know why this
> problem appears. And I don`t know how to test it by IMAP commands.

The only way this might be Dovecot's fault is if STATUS commands don't
see the new mail. For example:

a STATUS mailboxname (MESSAGES UNSEEN)

If running that command sees updated values, the problem is with
Thunderbird which probably doesn't even try to send that command then.
I don't really know if TB normally does that or not, most other
clients do anyway.

See also http://wiki.dovecot.org/TestInstallation for how to login/etc.