[Dovecot] LDA and postfix with recipient delimiter:documentation

John Fawcett john.ml at erba.tv
Mon May 18 22:04:58 EEST 2009

mr.maX wrote:
>> ${domain} is a somewhat recent addition to Postfix. I guess the docs
>> could say to use ${domain} instead of ${nexthop} if Postfix is newer
>> than X (should look up what version added that).
>
> ${domain} parameter has been added starting with Postfix 2.5, which
> means that people using "enterprise" linux distros that usually ship
> with old versions of software won't be able to use it.
>
> Anyway, I'm guessing that the real problem here lies in the fact that
> John used "mailbox_transport = dovecot" to instruct Postfix how to
> deliver e-mails, instead of using virtual_transport Postfix parameter
> as instructed in the Dovecot's wiki. Parameter mailbox_transport is
> used to set optional message delivery transport that Postfix's *local*
> delivery agent should use for delivery and since it's actually a local
> delivery, nexthop is by default set to $myhostname (using
> local_transport parameter), instead of the actual virtual domain.
Hi Marko
thanks for that clarification. That clears up why next_hop was not
evaluating to the domain. I don't have a mixture of local and virtual
mailboxes so for me using postfix local delivery via mailbox transport
(what I used to do with cyrus and with dbmail) was fine too and also
evaluates the local aliases file, though I could rewrite that to
virtual_alias_maps...

However, it means the wiki documentation doesn't need changing: the
next_hop parameter is consistent with the rest of the instructions. It's
my setup that was different. If someone choses to do it the way I have
done, they can see the solution in the list archives.

thanks everyone.
John